Friday, October 18, 2019

Learning From Building Mistakes

I finally got a little painting done for the first time in a while on a building for Monsterpocalypse. Its not much with far more that needs to be done on it. Yet I notice I already made a mistake on it. It is not an "oops, I screwed up" mistake but a "I just realize I'm making life harder on myself" process mistake. Here are some pictures of it.


The reason I primed the building black was because my white primer was low and while I had the opportunity to prime, I wanted to prime a group of models all at once. That group being 2 buildings and several Ubercorp units. Also thought black would be better for the Ubercorp units as I had an idea of how I was going to paint them. I had no plans for the buildings. Eventually I decided to paint this building brown with maybe a logo on top. And this is when I started painting. The problem is that I don't want the windows black. And I've learn from past mistakes that any washes on black does nothing! That means I have to paint each window by hand. If I had plan this out better, I would have primed the building white or at least a light color, if not whatever color I wanted for the windows. Had I done this, then after I painted the walls brown I would just needed to apply a wash to the entire building and I would be done. Instead, after I finished with the brown, I will have to paint in the windows which will take even longer than it will take me to paint the walls. After that I will still need to apply a wash before I would be done. Because of that, I will put it aside to work on other models. I'm not starting over with this building and I will go back and finish it. It just that I think I could make a lot more progress faster working on the other models. I still have a few days before the end of the month so I will hold off on further hobby updates. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment