Friday, October 25, 2019

Introduction to Flashback Storytime

I initially created the Chaos Magic blog so I would have a place to host the stories I wanted to write that were about my Warhammer Fantasy Armies. I didn't have any ideas at the time what that would look like nor how I could expand with other content while keeping with the initial core concept. Over the years that core concept needed to be expanded and/or change over and over again. I'm always struggling with what I wanted the identity of this blog to be. One idea I keep coming back to and then rejected it is to write a series of stories about various events of my life. I can categorize these events into two groups: one is about funny or somehow interesting stories about food with other being about funny or somehow interesting stories about my gaming life outside of wargames. I still can't bring myself to post the food related stories here, which is why I made a food related blog. I just haven't done anything with that blog yet and this blog needs a lot more consist content, which is why I keep thinking about it. For that matter, I've made a separate blog for the game related stuff (and Shadowrun Crossfire content) as well which I also haven't done anything with. In my mind, tabletop role-playing games (RPGs) felt fundamentally different from wargames and deserve their own blog. However, since the blog has evolved far beyond Warhammer Fantasy, it makes less sense to differentiate RPGs from wargames. I suppose there is a case that it made no sense to not include RPGs when the blog added Flames of War and Team Yankee material. In any event, I've change my mind on the matter and want to introduction a new series I will be starting on the blog called Flashback Storytime.

I have sat around the table with friends playing role-playing games like Dungeons and Dragons, Shadowrun and others for probably thousands of hours over the past 19 years. I probably have hundreds of hours playing fighting games in the arcade and I definite got more than a thousand hours playing fighting games on console systems. There is a way to look up how many game hours you have played in League of Legends but I'm afraid of how high that number would be. An average normal game last between 20 and 55 minutes though some games could last longer. My main account has over 2500 games on it and that doesn't include the many other game modes I've played nor my other accounts. All this says that I have a rich environment to pull from to retell interesting stories. Some of my stories happen many years ago and while I will try to be as accurate as I can remember, I might get details wrong. If there are parts of the stories I can't remember at all, I will be making stuff up to make sure the overall story works and is constant. I won't make up anything I know is false. I will just be trying to fill in holes in my memories of something that makes sense. For example I might write a story in which the real life event was at a different location but everything else was accurate. That is what I will be going for.

I am unsure how often I will publishing these stories, which I will call Flashback Storytime. At the very least I want to publish one this month and one next month. However with next month being National Write a Novel Month, I doubt I will get much done on the blog in November. With my former core concept of stories for my wargame armies not being relevant anytime soon, several Flashback Storytime stories will probably be coming soon. I just wanted to give an overview of what I wanted them to be before a started posting. I hope people will enjoy them. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment